"The road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the road has gone,
And I must follow if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say"
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Sunday 25 March 2012

Vincere Caritate

The unexpected death of a friend, unjust detention of some comrades and then, yesterday, my own brief detention made this past week one to remember.

So because I was sad, angry and frustrated with the people and systems around me, I remembered my blog and thought I should write something here.

The death was a poignant reminder of another life lost, a Catholic nun from my high school days, who, among other things, introduced me to the Latin phrase, 'Vincere Caritate'.

Vincere Caritate roughly translates to 'Conquer with Love' and is the motto of the school where I spent six years of my life.Vincere Caritate is a reminder of Sr Maria De Pace, a Hungarian nun, whose lessons, though never followed, were not forgotten.

Vincere Caritate is a phrase I had not thought of in more than three years, but one which I was reminded by circumstances this past week, it is a phrase that I hope will guide me, and others, through life. So in the middle of my problems during the past week I was reminded to Conquer with Love, to respond to violence and oppression with understanding and reason and to respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.

And my dark cloud developed a silver lining, in my anger I found peace and when they expected me to bow down and grovel, I put my head up, stood tall and smiled.

So, be kind and loving to everyone you meet, because everyone is fighting their own hard battles and may just need that little love, a simple act of kindness, a greeting from a complete stranger, a positive and encouraging conversation or even a smile. Just a little love will change the lives of those around you and the love is usually returned too.

......For love is not love, until you give it away- to everyone, without discrimination.

Perhaps then, we'll Conquer, not with violence, force or coercion, but by the power of love.

So....VINCERE CARITATE!
comments

1 comment: